Discolored, darkened, or yellow teeth can create a dull smile. Teeth whitening is a safe and effective cosmetic dental treatment to enhance the look of your teeth. Teeth whitening can help patients feel more confident in their healthy, stable smile. Dr. Fabrizio Dall’Olmo provides teeth whitening in Santa Monica, CA, as a part of his comprehensive dental care offerings. He works with patients to reach their cosmetic goals.
Why Do I Have Discolored Teeth?
There isn’t just one cause of tooth discoloration. The multiple reasons why you may have one or more stained teeth:
- Foods and Drinks: Some foods and drinks can change the color of your tooth enamelr. Coffee, wine, tea, tomato sauces, and dark berries can discolor teeth.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: If you do not brush enough, a bacterial film called plaque can cover your teeth. This film can make teeth look yellow. Improper brushing can also let stains build up on the teeth.
- Medication: Tetracycline, antihistamines, antipsychotics, and other medications can have tooth discoloration as a side effect. We will take your medical history and medications into account when treating you.
- Age: As you age, you can experience medical problems or natural wear to your teeth that can change color. Many medications have tooth discoloration as a side effect. As the natural enamel, or outer layer of the tooth, wears down, it shows the dentin beneath. Dentin is a dark underlayer that makes teeth appear dark.
We recommend teeth bleaching if you are in good health but want to change the look of your teeth. Before any whitening treatment, we will ensure your teeth and gums are healthy. Our office will also consider your budget and goals to find the best treatment for your needs.
Our Teeth Whitening Services in Santa Monica, CA
Discolored or yellow teeth are the most common cosmetic dental concern affecting many adult patients. Whitening teeth is a safe cosmetic treatment yielding highly effective results. Dr. Dall’Olmo offers professional teeth whitening treatment options for patients with healthy smiles in Santa Monica, CA. It is one of the most popular dental services he provides to the public.
Professional teeth whitening offers better results than over-the-counter options. Our teeth whitening gels are designed to protect the gums.
Before whitening teeth, we cover the gums to minimize sensitivity. Then, we apply whitening gel evenly to each tooth. We use a special light to activate the ingredients in the gel. Ingredients like hydrogen peroxide penetrate the teeth to lift stains. We can repeat this process until we reach your desired results.
Teeth whitening is an excellent option before a special event, like a birthday, graduation, or wedding. Professional whitening provides quick yet lasting results.
Why Doesn’t Store-Bought Whitening Work?
Buying whitening toothpaste, strips, or other whitening products from the store may seem convenient. However, these treatments often do not deliver the same results as professional whitening treatments.
Store-bought whitening treatments use small amounts of active ingredients like hydrogen peroxide. In higher percentages, these ingredients can bleach teeth. However, these whitening treatments use so few ingredients that they are ineffective.
Store-bought treatments may also not work for your type of tooth stains. Each patient is different and may have stains that are not easily treated with whitening gel or toothpaste. When you visit Dr. Dall’Olmo, he will find the cause of your tooth stains to provide the right whitening treatment.
How to Whiten Deep Tooth Stains
Sometimes, we cannot whiten tooth stains with an in-office whitening treatment. This is because there are two types of stains: intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic tooth stains are stains within the tooth. A hit to a tooth or tooth wear can affect the dentin. Some medications can also create these stains.
Extrinsic tooth stains occur in the enamel or outer layer of the tooth. Smoking and eating certain foods or drinks can create these surface stains.
There are several cosmetic and restorative treatments we offer to cover discolored teeth:
- Tooth Bonding: Dental bonding uses tooth-colored resin to cover one or more discolored teeth. Bonding can also cover damaged teeth that change color over time. Bonding is also a more economical alternative to veneers and crowns.
- Dental Veneers: A veneer is a shell-like treatment that covers the front of teeth. Veneers can change the color of all teeth that show when smiling. We can provide as many as eight veneers to cover all the teeth in the smile line. Because veneers are permanent,
- Dental Crowns: A crown is a cap that fully covers and protects a tooth. Crowns are best for patients with worn or weakened teeth and tooth discoloration. We color-match dental crowns to adjacent teeth for a natural look.
We may also recommend these treatments for patients with tooth sensitivity. Professional teeth whitening is created with sensitivity in mind. It is also normal to experience minor sensitivity a day or two after treatment. However, patients with sensitive teeth who want brighter teeth may choose these treatments.
How to Keep Teeth White
After your whitening treatment, you want to make your results last. You can return to our office to touch up your teeth whitening results. Avoid cigarettes, vapes, and other tobacco products. Sip through a straw to prevent tooth staining when drinking coffee and tea.
A good oral hygiene routine will help keep your teeth white and prevent surface stains. Continue to visit our dental office for an exam and cleaning every six months. Regular cleanings can also reduce stains. It’s common to notice your teeth look brighter after a professional dental cleaning.
Whiten Your Teeth Today
Get expert teeth whitening for a brighter smile. Contact our Santa Monica, CA, dental office to make a cosmetic consultation. You can also schedule an appointment online. We accept new and current patients of all ages from Venice, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, and surrounding communities.
See the difference whitening can make in your smile. Our highly trained dental care team provides quality dental care to all our patients. Let us know if you have questions about whitening treatment. We’re here to help.