Reoccuring tooth sensitivity may be an indication of a more severe oral health concern. If you are expereicing tooth sensitivity on a consistent basis, it is important to schedule a visit with your dentist.
Santa Monica dentist Dr. Fabrizio Dall’Olmo offers a full range of cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry services. Dr. Dall’Olmo will perform a full comprehensive exam and make any necessary recommendations for treatment. In order to treat sensitive teeth, it is crucial to understand the cause of sensitivity.
If you are experiencing tooth sensitivity, schedule a visit to our Santa Monica, CA dentist office. To schedule an appointment, call (310) 736-1051 or request an appointment online.
Common Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
Tooth sensitivity occurs when the dentin loses its protective covering. The dentin is compromised, the nerves in the tooth root are exposed, which may lead to tooth sensitivity, irritation, and pain.
- Using your teeth as tools: When you use your teeth as tools, it may lead to tooth fractures, chipped, or damage to the enamel.
- Chewing ice: Chewing ice may lead to tooth damage.
- Hard brushing: hard brushing can damage the tooth enamel and lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay can break down the tooth enamel, leading to dentin exposure. If left untreated, patients with dental caries may experience tooth sensitivity.
- Tooth grinding and clenching: Tooth grinding can lead to worn and damaged teeth. Most patients don’t realize they grind their teeth until they visit the dentist.
- Poor diet: A poor diet can lead to tooth sensitivity, tooth damage, and other dental issues.
- Gum disease: Gum recession can lead to dentin exposure. When the dentin is exposed, patients may experience pain and tooth sensitivity.
Learn More About Tooth Sensitivity
If you are noticing any changes in your oral health, be sure to visit our Santa Monica dental office. Dr. Dall’Olmo can work with you to alleviate your symptoms and improve your oral health.